Monday, November 15, 2010

Technology in the Palm of Your Hand.

One of Apple's most recent creations is the Apple Ipad. I have had the opportunity to use one of these Ipads and i must say they are a lot of fun! The Ipad may be a lot of fun, but if you really think about it the ipad can be used for a lot of different things. Having a small computer that is portable and easy to manage can be so useful when it comes to technologies that can help students. The ipad can connect to the Internet and special applications can be downloaded onto the ipad that can allow for easier use by the student. If a student needs to have something read for them or something in bigger print this could be done for them on the ipad. Another useful way this or even and ipod touch can be used is for organization. As someone who is constantly keeping lists and writing things down my ipod has become my favorite tool. I have downloaded multiple applications that help me to keep track of what I need to do and my schedule. There is an application for my grocery list, one for my homework, one for my daily schedule and one for my to do list. These tools can be extremely helpful for a student who needs to keep reminders or has trouble keeping on task. The use of a daily schedule could help a special education student who needs to have their schedule written for them. The student would be able to put this into their ipad or ipod and carry it around with them along with setting alerts to help remind the student where they are supposed to be or what they should be doing. So do I feel apples technologies are useful to students absolutely!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I think that apple has really come along way with technology. I just think about the students that I help where they need to have a schedule in front of them all the time to tell them what they are doing and what is next. With the ipad or the ipod touch it could be an easy device to carry around rather than a board with Velcro and pictures on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and I actually did my final project on Apple products and their contributions to assistive technology. Unfortunately, said products are EXPENSIVE; even I can't afford many of them. That is a huge downside to such an accessible line of products. Assistive tech and special schools are already so costly for parents and teachers; I can easily see how ipods wouldn't even be considered in public schools, and that is a shame.

    ReplyDelete