Monday, November 29, 2010

Homework

Today in my TE class we talked a lot about homework. I started to think about how technology could help students with their homework. First I realized today in class that homework is not something students need to have everyday. Second I learned that homework needs to have a lot of value to it so students will get the most out of the assignment. I started to think about using the different technologies or different websites we've looked at in class this semester. A lot of these applications could be used to add value to an assignment and also help the student to be able to complete the assignment without the extra factor of stress and frustration. Using Google could be a great resource for students to work together on assignments or help each other. I think homework is something that should be used to help students understand what they've learned in class, but also help them to become motivated. Homework doesn't have to be a boring task that students don't look forward to doing.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is very interesting that you guys discussed this topic. For the past year or two, this topic has been resurfacing, and whenever my professors had anything to say about it, it was everything you mentioned. I completely agree with your comment, and I feel that as we become more and more technologically advanced, elementary teachers have been less focused on improving the effort required to do assignments. I understand that it does not apply to EVERY elementary teacher. However, for all of my field placements, and even in discussion with teachers, most of the people I had spoken with feel that the most important part of a child's learning is what they do and learn in school. I do not completely agree with what that perspective because, just as you mentioned, teachers should use different technologies, applications, and any other tools necessary to ensure that the students' learning is continuing outside of school, as well. Great Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that homework definitely needs to be well thought out by the teacher in order for it to be beneficial to the students. I hate when teachers give students homework that is busy work. A lot of times the students rush through the homework to get it done and don't learn anything. I think that by using technology with homework teacher's could create more interesting assignments that students would be interested in completing. Teachers could use Google doc or power point, internet searches, wikki's, etc. to have students connect with technology while completing their homework. I hope that more teachers will think about using technology and homework and assign meaningful homework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this blog post about homework to be very interesting because I completely agree that is should be meaningful so that the kids can get something out of it and also that students should not have homework everyday. I am completely against busy work and I feel like way too many teachers give their students this. At least make the assignment something that students will enjoy and remember encouraging them to want to learn more about the topic.

    ReplyDelete